Programs of Study

CEI 2+2's

photo of a bridge

2+2 is a name given to guaranteed transfer agreements made between College of Eastern Idaho and a university or college that allow students to take their first two years (60 credits) of their undergraduate degree at CEI and the last two years (60 credits) at a university or college. Students will earn their Associate of Arts (AA) or Associates of Science (AS) at CEI, and then transfer to complete their bachelor degree at a university or 4-year college of their choice. Courses provided at CEI may be formed based on the requirements of the equivalent university or college course. The credits for these courses can be applied to specific major requirements.

The 2+2’s are designed to smooth the transition between CEI and a university or college per students’ individual academic goals. 2+2’s enable students who have an idea of what they want to study and what university or college they wish to attend to begin to pursue their intended area of study while attending CEI. While at CEI, students will take the specific generals and electives needed for their major. When they transfer to their university or college they should be prepared as “true juniors” and be ready to dive in to their major program courses.

The 2+2 will guarantee students catalog rights at selected universities or colleges, so that if program changes are made before the student graduates at CEI and transfers to the university or college the student will have the same catalog rights as if they were a university or college student from their first day at CEI.

The 2+2 process allows students to avoid unnecessary travel and relocation as well as saving significantly on tuition costs. They will avoid taking unnecessary or duplicate courses.

To find out more about 2+2’s contact a General Education Academic Advisor or Pathways Coordinator. Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisors to select a 2+2 or pathway that works best for their academic goals.

CEI has articulation agreements with the following 4-year institutions so far:

Want an idea of how your courses will potentially transfer? Visit this Idaho public college student navigation website.


Q: What is an articulation agreement?
A: An articulation agreement is a formal documented agreement between a college and a 4-year institution determining how credits earned at the college will be accepted by the 4-year institution toward its degree programs. The agreement guarantees that these credits and courses will transfer to the university/college and major program as stated in the agreement. It does not guarantee admission to any specific major.

Q: What are catalog rights?
A: "Catalog rights" is a term used to define specific academic requirements that are published in a 4-year institution's catalog in a specific year which requirements the student must satisfy to qualify for a degree. Catalogs are revised each year and may include changes to program requirements. Students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisors to make sure they are fulfilling the correct requirements and staying on track.

Q: What's the difference between a 2+2 agreement and a CEI pathway?
A: A 2+2 agreement is a formal documented agreement between two institutions for a specific major or program. A pathway is a more generalized plan for majors or programs that takes into account what courses are available at CEI and what multiple universities or 4-year colleges in the area require for the major or program.

Q: Do I have to take my classes a specific order?
A: Yes and no. Some, but not all, classes have pre-requisites or co-requisites that require specific sequencing. It is also good to know that not all courses are provided every semester. For example ACC 201 might be offered in the Fall, while ACC 202 is offered in the Spring.

Q: Do I have to graduate with my associates for my 2+2 to count at the 4-year institution?
A: Yes, student who wishes to avoid additional course requirements at the university and maintain catalog rights will need to graduate with their AA or AS degree.

Q: What if I don’t graduate with my AA/AS before transferring on to a 4-year institution?
A: If you transfer to a university or college before completing your AA/AS degree then the university or college will articulate your transfer credits on a case-by-case basis. You may be required to take additional courses at the university or college that you otherwise would not have been required to take.

Q: What if I change my mind about what major I want to do?
A: All general education courses you may have taken at CEI so far will count towards your AA/AS degree as well as your general education requirements towards a bachelor degree. Meet with your academic advisor to see what changes you will need to make for your new major goal.

Q: What if there is not a 2+2 made for my major or the 4-year institution I plan to transfer to?
A: Contact both CEI’s Pathway Coordinator and the university or college’s program advisor.


Lori Barber
Dean of General Education
(208) 535-5419

Danielle Stimpson
Pathways Coordinator
(208) 535-5409

University Academic Advisors

Idaho State University
Michelle Munoz
Undergraduate Advisor/Transfer Coordinator
(208) 282-7802 at University Place
(208) 535-5379 (TTH) at CEI

University of Idaho
Debbie Caudle
Undergraduate Advisor (208) 757-5454 at University Place
(208) 535-5379 (M) at CEI

College of Eastern Idaho, 208.524.3000, 1600 S 25th E, Idaho Falls, ID 83404

Student Right To Know

2019 All Rights Reserved, AA/EEO Institution