Satisfactory Academic Progress Financial Aid Appeals Process
In the case of extenuating circumstances (such as injury, illness, or death of an immediate family member); students may appeal their financial aid suspension in writing by completing the General Appeal form or the Maximum Credit Appeal form and return it to the Financial Aid Office. The appeal should address and document extenuating circumstances and describe how circumstances have changed so the student is able to be academically successful. Students must be registered for courses at the time the appeal is submitted. A Financial Aid Professional Staff Committee will review submitted appeals. If the appeal is denied, students may meet in person with the SAP Appeals Committee. This committee’s decision will be the final decision. Incomplete appeals or those missing adequate documentation will be denied for missing information.

If an appeal is approved, the student will be required to complete the courses as outlined. If the student cannot be in compliance after the approved term and they have passed the courses, but may not be meeting all SAP requirements, they may be denied financial aid for the following term. The student may submit a General Appeal with an Academic Plan approved by an Academic Advisor and the Financial Aid Office until they are in compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress.

General Appeal
A General Appeal may be used in situations of medical hardship, death in the family, emergencies, and other extreme circumstances that affect the students Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The General Appeal form may also be used by students after they have attended a semester without financial aid and are requesting reinstatement of their aid although they may not be back within Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. The General Appeal form may also be used by students after they have been placed on a Warning term, completed the term successfully, but may not be back within Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements but can show they are making academic progress.

Maximum Credit Appeal
A Maximum Credit Appeal is to be used when a student reaches the maximum time frame allowed by Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The maximum number of credits allowed for a degree or certificate will be up to 150% of the credits needed to complete the degree. If the student does not successfully complete the conditions of the appeal the student may be denied further financial assistance.

Other Financial Aid Appeals

Special Circumstances Appeals
A Special Circumstances Appeal form is to be used by students or parents of dependent students who have had loss of income. These situations could include loss of employment, death of a parent, divorce of a parent, divorce of a student, or medical expenses that affect income.

Dependency Appeal
Federal financial aid regulations require the family to take primary responsibility for meeting the educational costs of students. Financial aid eligibility is determined by using both the student and parent financial information for students who are considered dependent according to the federal government criteria. To be considered and receive federal financial aid, dependent students are required to provide parental information and signature(s). In certain unusual circumstances, the Financial Aid Office can consider students that cannot obtain the parental information required. To be considered, a student must complete and submit a Dependency Status Appeal Form and the appropriate documentation to the Financial Aid office.

Marital Status Appeal
The Department of Education determines a student’s status as dependent or independent based on the information received from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). However, there are situations such as a student marrying before or during a given FAFSA year that can change the student’s dependency status. The Marital Status Appeal can be used to determine the student’s eligibility for an award year. The Financial Aid Office will review the student’s appeal by examining the supporting documentation provided by the student and will approve or deny the student’s request. The Financial Aid Advisor’s decision is final and cannot be appealed to the U.S. Department of Education.

John E. Christofferson
Multi-Purpose Building

Room 353
Phone: (208) 524-3000
Fax: (208) 525-7026