Types of Aid

There are 3 Types of Federal student aid:

  • Grants provide financial aid which does not have to be repaid. They are generally provided by the Federal government through the Department of Education, or individual states. Federal grants are awarded to students with financial need. Students must apply for the FAFSA, which is used to determine a student’s need and eligibility for financial aid, including grants.
  • Loans are funds that provide borrowed money that must be repaid with interest. There are many types of student loans, which may or may not be need-based. The Financial Aid office will determine your eligibility with the completion of the FAFSA each year. 
  • Student Work-Study allows you to earn money to help pay for educational expenses while enrolled in school. Work Study programs provide students with employment opportunities on campus, though it is up to the student to secure employment. Participation in this program is typically based on financial need determined by the FAFSA each year.

Scholarships are a different type of student aid which you do not need to repay and are generally reserved for students and prospective students that apply for funds from a wide variety of sources. You can apply for scholarships through College of Eastern Idaho Foundation.

John E. Christofferson
Multi-Purpose Building

Room 353
Phone: (208) 524-3000
Fax: (208) 525-7026